Saturday 5 December 2020

Assignment 10 - Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe

Hello Readers!

This assignment is a part of internal evaluation of student's academic activity in the Department of English, MK Bhavnagar University. Here is my assignment.

Name: Rohit Vyas
Class: Semester 3
PG Enrolment Number: 2069108420200041
E-mail: rohitvyas277@gmail.com
Course: M.A. English, at Department of English, M.K. Bhavnagar University
Paper 10 - The American Literature, Unit - 1
Submitted to: Department of English MK Bhavnagar University, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, IN.

Assignment 10 – Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe

Abstract

         In this assignment, an attempt has been made to give an analytical view of Edgar Allan Poe’s short stories. Most of his short stories are known as tales of macabre and tales of ratiocination. This assignment focuses on Poe’s “The Tell-Tale Heart”, a story of a ruthless killing of an old man, and the confession of the crime.

Keywords: macabre, poe, short story

Introduction

Edgar Allan Poe was a 19th century American poet, short story writer and literary critic. He is best known for his poem "The Raven" and a short story "The Black Cat". He has contributed in the genre of crime and horror. His collection of short stories are divided into two parts, tales of ratiocination and tales of macabre. The core elements of his stories are crime, murder, horror and investigation. "The Purloined Letter" is an example of detective fiction.

The Tell-Tale Heart is a story of a criminal who skillfully kills an old man for a silly reason. The story shows the inner recesses of human psyche. Published in 1843, the story is still very relevant in today’s time. There are several murders brutal killings happen in today’s society. The aftermath of the killing is unbearable to the killer that he himself confesses the crime.

At the very beginning of the story Poe gives the indication that the narrator or a protagonist is having acute sense of hearing. He could listen the voice from heaven and hell also.

The disease had sharpened my senses -- not destroyed -- not dulled them. Above all was the sense of hearing acute. I heard all things in the heaven and in the earth. I heard many things in hell. (Poe)

The reason behind narrator’s hatred towards an old man is his blue eye, the eye of the vulture. That was the only reason to kill the old man. This can be read in the psychological ways that how small reasons and trivial things can disturb the disordered person.

It is impossible to say how first the idea entered my brain; but once conceived, it haunted me day and night. Object there was none. Passion there was none. I loved the old man. He had never wronged me. He had never given me insult. For his gold I had no desire. I think it was his eye! Yes, it was this! He had the eye of a vulture --a pale blue eye, with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran cold; and so by degrees -- very gradually --I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye forever. (Poe)

The narrator describes how much he hated the eyes of the old man and then how he made rehearsals of killing. But on one midnight, he was determined to make the killing happen.

In an instant I dragged him to the floor, and pulled the heavy bed over him. I then smiled gaily, to find the deed so far done. But, for many minutes, the heart beat on with a muffled sound. This, however, did not vex me; it would not be heard through the wall. At length it ceased. The old man was dead. I removed the bed and examined the corpse. Yes, he was stone, stone dead. I placed my hand upon the heart and held it there many minutes. There was no pulsation. He was stone dead. His eye would trouble me no more. (Poe)

One can see the sight of relief is making a prefect mixture with the heavy atmosphere of killing. Readers often connect themselves with the narrator as he was suffering from a disease that caused him an acute senses of hearing.

After killing the old man the narrator hides the dead body of an old man under the wooden planks of the floor. Here again the keenness in adjusting the corpse under the planks is showing the gory brutality of the killer. He cuts off his arms and head and legs to fix the body.

If still you think me mad, you will think so no longer when I describe the wise precautions I took for the concealment of the body. The night waned, and I worked hastily, but in silence. First of all I dismembered the corpse. I cut off the head and the arms and the legs. (Poe)

When the three policemen enter the house then a sudden change in his behavior is changing as if nothing has happened in the house. He becomes so suave and polite that the cops was getting satisfactory remarks about him.

But as the easy talk went on with the cops, the narrator grew pale and vehement. He behaved so anxiously that cops suspected him again.

Poe creates the environment of suspense and mystery throughout the story. And at the end, he reveals the inner agony of the killer. The narrator feels that the heartbeats are much louder that the police cops can also hear them.

“But anything was better than this agony! Anything was more tolerable than this derision! I could bear those hypocritical smiles no longer! I felt that I must scream or die! --and now --again! --hark! louder! louder! louder! louder! –” (Poe)

At last, he couldn’t bear the inner illusion of heartbeats of the old man and he yelled.

"Villains!" I shrieked, "dissemble no more! I admit the deed! --tear up the planks! --here, here! --it is the beating of his hideous heart!" (Poe)

To conclude, one can say that Poe has thrown some light on dark recesses on the mind. This story can also be read in a psychological symptoms of the narrator.

Hyperacusis is a hearing disorder that leads a patient to the uncomfortable state, resulting in pain an anxiety. This can be at peak by hearing the daily sounds like phone ringing, people talking, and running faucet and so on. The acute hearing Poe mentions is indicating to this particular disease.

Reference: Poe, Edgar A. The Tell-Tale Heart. PDF, Elegant Books, 1843.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment