Thursday 22 April 2021

The Sense of an Ending Group Task

Hello Readers !

Here is the video presentation made by our group in which 5 students worked on the various aspects and devices of the novel. We recorded the series of the videos and presented in the hybrid lectures.


THE SENSE OF AN ENDING – GROUP TASK

1. Author's Introduction - Julian Barnes


2. Novel's Introduction


3. Structure 



4. Setting

5. Characters

6. Plot of 'The Sense of an Ending'


7. Themes

8. Symbols

9. Title Significance


10. Film Adaptation



11. Learning Outcome - Rohit



Additionally, my following analogy about the novel is something which everyone, specifically youngsters who are assumed as cream of every society, must read and apply. So here it goes.

I raise my anger on Tony's character. Not because of what he did in his younger days, but because of why he didn't do the things which were necessary to do when he was young. Instead of envying Adrian's clarity of life, Tony could have exercised to make himself clear about his own false assumptions.

I pity him. Because in his sixties, the decades in life which should be lived peacefully, he had to experience "the great unrest". I pity him for his remorse and regret. Because it has no significance. He has wasted his 'time' and has lived a bit careless life being young. Later in life being apologetic is of no use, especially when he knows nothing about Veronica's life, her relationship with Adrian. It's always better to bear and work on our 'unrest' than the 'great unrest'.

Karmic Philosophy and Theory of Relativity

If I look at my past Karmas, ranging from recent past times to many years back, there's always something which I have some sad feeling, or regret for. There has been time in which I submerged myself into deep solitude, and there has also been the time when I have found myself highly engaged with the crowd. What difference these two situation have is, they both don't exist without my consent. Being in solitude may not give me happiness and being in crowd may not. 

Well, this doesn't make me a believer in Karmic philosophy but a practitioner of rational thinking. Because whatever we think, whatever we perceive as a reality, we become likewise. We might not have shared our thoughts everytime but they definitely leave their impressions in an individual's life. Sometimes they causes tremendous pain or sometimes they create pleasure. On the whole, it's a relativistic idea of thinking.

---: Knowability :---

If I'm not aware of the basic facts about something, I must not create any assumptions or hypothesis on any idea. No matter how that thought or idea pressurizes me to materialize it into action and into language. Instead of forcing outworldy entities to get me to the fact, I must practice individualism. The more we set ourselves at the centre of the subject, the more we become open to the knowledge which would fall into our place, without any effort.

---: Consciousness :---

Actions speak louder than language. Our actions bring the positive and negative feedback from people at large. So, the more we become conscious about ourselves, the more peaceful surrounding we recieve.

If 'The Sense of an Ending' puts the core message of giving mutual spaces to one another, it also gives the impression of taking all the possible responsibilities of actions, languages, and even 'thoughts' (yes, even if the last one is never visible to anybody on the Earth.) Hence, if my mere existence is philosophically self evident (yes, that's the humorous way of looking at such brightest gems of thoughts) I must relook, reread, and analyse all of my past actions, words, and thoughts being skeptical about it and by asking questions to myself, I must put all the possible efforts to make everything clear. I must acknowledge and accept all of my guilt, regrets, and past actions, good and bad experiences and remain true to myself.

Yes, here's the point when the subjectivity and objectivity matter the most. I'm no one to judge someone else's behaviour, decisions and thoughts. If I get myself actively involved into others matters, I may ruin my individual positivity. While doing formal interaction with others, one has to be objective in order to maintain the decorum.

Consciousness, the key to actively witness all the actions and events, is a remedy to our confusions and dilemmas of life. The more conscious we become in our actions the more we become aware about the outcomes and results.

-----

I found this novel highly meditative. It would be excessive to call Tony Webster an overthinker. Though he made his every effort to clarify and justify his mistake, but he couldn't. He didn't give up on the idea of seeking the truth.

As a practitioner of Yog and meditation, my meditation never allows me to be something which I'm not. Meditation has always played a key role and has been a loyal friend to me in all walks of life. With my meditation and reading this novel, I happen to emerge myself as a new version. If the collective motto of life is to acquire happiness and peace, all the initials lie in Yog and meditation.

Some ideas and thoughts come with uncontrollable thrust whenever they strike. If any of my readers are poets, painters and writers, they might have experienced it and could relate. The keen and sharp thoughts which brood into our subconscious, find a direct way through either brush, pen, pencil or keyboard, surpassing our entire consciousness.

But there's always a way to channelize such outbursts and flow. Sometimes I fail to channelize them, and sometimes I succeed. In such situations what activity we choose is vital to see.

I'm telling this because I have experienced such outbursts several times, but to name a single, it was on fortnight of the virtual annual day function in which I have written the following poem with flow of emotions.

Click Here to read my poem titled :
"March 8th 2021"

Enjoyed?

Such is a situation, if this flow is channelized properly, it can create some productive work, build a new social standard... and similarly can destroy many beautiful things and relations. I remember the dialogue from the film Andhaadhun,

"What is life? That depends on the liver."

To me, life is an ocean, water is salty, we can't drink. But what we can do is swim, to keep treading water with all the energy we have. Someday I may get tired of swimming, but I can't let myself drowned in the dark depths. Keeping myself utmost postive, accepting all the challenges, fighting the odds, one day... the journey will find its destination.

- Rohit Vyas

12. Learning Outcome - Ruchi


13. Learning Outcome - Kavisha



14. Learning Outcome - Dharti
15. Learning Outcome - Dhara

Videos will be updated soon.

Click here to read the detailed social media post about our group activity.

Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment