Saturday 30 November 2019

Fantastic Duo - Wordsworth and Coleridge

Hello Readers!

Literature, when considered as hobby or passion, makes good friends. In English literature, we find many duo and trio of people who became good friends and they also have worked together. In the age of Romanticism or 19th century literature, we find two duos, who are none other than Jane Austen - Mary Shelley and William Wordsworth - Samuel Taylor Coleridge.


At the department of English, many new learning methods are accepted. Through the audio visual presentation, students can learn things tremendous fast. In order to understand the present topic, we have made a video with the guidance of Prof. Vaidehi Hariyani madam. As part of group activity, students were told to make pair of two and assigned to make either a video/audio clip/blog for this thinking activity.

Here is the video I've made.

William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge



* Transcript of the video

WW : Hello Samuel, How are you ?

SC    : Hello William, I'm fine, thank you. Nice to meet you!

WW : After a long time we've met.

SC    : Yes of  course, it's been a long time.

WW : Since we both are connected with English literature, what kind of literature you've produced ?

SC    : I've worked on a poem "The Rime of Ancient Mariner" which became the famous poem of the collection Lyrical Ballads, published in 1798. Do you remember ?

WW  : Yes, I remember. It was our first collection of poems and your poem was the first one. I;ve also published some poems like, "Mad Mother", "Idiot Boy", and "We are Seven" etc.

SC    : In the year 1816, I've written a dreamlike poem Kubla Khan, and in 1817, I've also written an essay on literary criticism, "Biographia Literaria"

WW  : The publication of Lyrical Ballads was considered as a start of English Romantic Movement.

SC     : That is true. It was happened just after the French Revolution.

WW  : I have given a famous definition of poetry and it is, "Poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings, it takes it's origin from emotion, recollected in tranquility".

SC    : Yes, I've heard of it, but my poems differ from yours in many ways.

WW : Yes, my poems presented the common and simple life of peasants and shepherds, much more connected with relations between man and nature.

SC   : I have introduced some elements of supernatural mysteries in my poetry, and my aim to write poetry was to give them a semblance of truth.

WW : I've given my poetry the aim of giving ordinary things, the charm of novelty. "The Daffodils" is the example of it.

SC   : In my poem "Kubla Khan" I've included the motif of nature, specifically water elements. Some high poetic sense makes my poetry a bit difficult for people to understand.

WW : Poetry is my life. I have my soul in all of my works.

SC : Our friendship is the remarkable duo in the English literature. We will be remembered ages together.

WW : Thank You!

SC : Thank You, Nice to meet you !

2 comments:

  1. Very well compared the views of both the poets with key characteristics. Well done! It's good you have mentioned the transcript of the video.

    ReplyDelete